About Me

My photo
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
I have been stitching forever it seems and now do this just for pleasure,My DH and I are retired so I have lots of time for my hobbies--sewing Gardening and walking my dog. Have 4 grand-kids aged from 18 to 11 One lives in Australia and the others are very close to where we live. Hope to contribute more thru this blog. Kiwi Jan New Zealand

Monday, July 28, 2014

Quilting


Today's blog is not about Fudge my Janome 6500, which I sew enjoy, it is about my first attempt at a wholecloth quilt. 
Handquilted. 
I  have always enjoyed handquilting and have many quilts finished this way...Why I have never attempted a Wholecloth before I have no idea.
I belong to a group ..Celebrate Handquilting...such inspiration ....
As quilters do I was able to help another quilter out with something she wanted to try and in return was offered a small Wholecloth marked by this quilter...her pattern..
 Oh yes please says Kiwi Jan...
The quilt is not big 40 x 40 inches  that is..
After much debate I purchased some Auriful Mako 28 thread  in several shades to hopefully match the colour of the Wholecloth ...one was just what I needed, I am sure I will use the other threads I purchased sometime!
Just need to batt it up and ready to go. 
I started in the middle as one does and here is the middle quilted...


The photo is a little off colour the top is looking good.
The next area to quilt is the crosshatching and then the floral middle border 

The colour here is more true...the first crosshatching is half the width of the crosshatching on the other side of the floral border... 
The next border is a wide feathered border... 

I have one side and a half to finish this feather border and then another small border of crosshatching to finish it off...maybe another few weeks... 
I am enjoying the process and pleased with how it's looking...
The batting is Quilters Dream Wool sent to me by a friend from Florida this batting is super to quilt..the needle glides thru very easy.
I do not rock the needle but stitch one stitch at a time ..down and back up once makes my stitch...no pressure on my fingers or thumbs trying to rock a needle but must admit to many finger pricks...... I use a hoop as you can see in the first photo.
Must do something about the photos ...how to make them look the same colour...
More as I progress....
Thanks for looking 
Kiwi Jan 

2 comments: